Tuesday, February 9, 2016

KEEN SENSE OF THE OBVIOUS

A keen sense of the obvious.  We all know that ONE person who has it, right?  Maybe a family member...maybe a friend.  We love them to pieces but sometimes when they open their mouth...well...what can I say?  Blissfully unaware. For some reason, this week has been chuck-a-luck full of moments like this for me.  So have a read.  Be amused by the silly people in my life!  

Earlier this week I went to get a haircut.  I had been putting off making an appointment with my hairdresser simply because I had been busy.  Unfortunately, it was getting to the point where I needed a hair cut or a dog tag, so I went to one of those "walk-in" shops.

The minute I walked in, one of the friendly stylists greeted me with this question, "Hi!  Welcome to {STORE NAME}!  Do you need a hair cut?"

Stop right there.  What?

Call me crazy, but I found this a wee bit odd.  This isn't a place where you get your hair colored, or permed.  The only service they provide are short-order hair cuts, so unless you're lost, the only reason to enter an establishment such as this would be for a haircut.  The entire time I was getting my trim, the same greeting was said over and over. I may be over-exposing a somewhat evil side as reveal my next thought to you, but there was a huge part of me who desperately wanted someone to walk in and say, "No, I need my tires rotated.  Don't you do that here?"

I know.  I need help.  (But come on, you laughed a little, right?)

This funny experience made me think of the comedian Bill Engvall.  In the 90s, he was popular with his "Here's your sign" jokes.  The point of his one-liners were some people ask really stupid questions, and for this they should be forced to wear a sign.  The sign would let the rest of the population know you're a "stupid-question-asker."  Here are a few of his jokes just to give you an idea:

"I  pulled into one of those side of the road gas stations because one of my tires was going flat.  An attendant came up and asked, 'Tire go flat?'  I said, 'Nope, I was just driving along and the other three just swelled right up on me!'  Here's your sign..."

"My kids and I were flying a kite at a local park.  A man walked up and said, 'Flying a kite?'  I said, 'Nope, we're fishing for birds!'  Here's your sign..."

"I came home from hunting with a big ol buck tied to my truck.  Neighbor came out and asked, 'You shoot a buck?'  I said, 'No, they were giving them away with the purchase of every new truck!' Here's your sign..."

You get the gist...

With all this in mind, I couldn't help but think of my little Junior.  I swear, he could keep Mr. Engvall in material for years.  Let me give you a taste of Junior's keen sense of the obvious..

Just last week, I was a bit late getting to the school parking lot to pick up the kids.  I have a general area I usually park, but on this day I was late enough I had to park elsewhere.  Usually, Junior is the first to the car, but on this day his older brother beat him.

ME:  Hey bud!  Where you been?  PW beat you to the car today!
JUNIOR: Well, I got in the wrong car by accident.
PW:  You did?  How did you do that?
JUNIOR:  Well, it looked just like ours and was parked where Mom usually parks
ME:  Yeah, I got here a little late so I had to park over here.  Do you know who's car you got in?
JUNIOR:  No, Mom.  I told you it wasn't our car.  Different people were in it.  That's why I knew it wasn't ours.

Hmm.  I feel like this is a "Here's your sign" moment...

Anyone know Bill's number?

Well, to the rest of you who come in contact with others like my poor Junior, let me just say, there is more to them than their clueless comments.  Be patient.  Love them anyway.  Know they have a mother who has loved them through these "obvious" moments and more than likely has done what she can to prepare them for the world.  And most of all this....they ask those questions IN SPITE of their mother's teachings...not because...

Hope I gave you a giggle!  Have a great week!



No comments:

Post a Comment